MECHANICAL ENGINEERING HERITAGE NO.106
Super Gear Grinding Machine “Type ASG-2”
This machine is the first domestically produced spur gear grinder in Japan. Its design was started by Kazusaburo Okamoto, the founder of Okamoto Special Purpose Machine Tool Works (now Okamoto Machine Tool Works Co., Ltd.), on order from Kure Navy Arsenal, and was completed in 1930 after extensive trial and error. It was one of 13 units manufactured by the end of the war in 1945. The maximum pitch diameter for gear grinding was 500 mm, the maximum tooth width was 200 mm, and the largest module was 8 . It had an ingenious patented mechanism by which the indexing and generation ratio could be changed.
Nippon Institute of Technology Industrial Technology Museum
- Hours open:
- 9:30-16:30 (admission is until 16:00)
- Admission fee:
- Days closed:
Sundays and public holidays, mid-late August, year-end and New Year holidays, university entrance examination days
* The museum may be temporarily closed due to exhibition reasons.
- 4-1 Gakuendai, Miyashiro-cho, Minamisaitama-gun, Saitama 345-8501
+81-480-34-4111 (university representative)
+81-480-33-7545 (directly to the Industrial Technology Museum)
- 5 minutes by school bus or taxi from the west exit of Tobu Skytree Line / Tobu Animal Park Station, 15 minutes on foot
12 minutes by school bus from the East Exit of Shinshiraoka Station on the JR Utsunomiya Line / Shonan-Shinjuku Line
* A ticket is required to use the school bus