MECHANICAL ENGINEERING HERITAGE NO.3
A Forged Iron Treadle Lathe made by Mr.Kaheiji Ito in 1875
This forged iron treadle lathe is said to have been manufactured by Kaheiji Ito, who lived in Yamagata Prefecture around 1875. He came to Tokyo in 1872 and learned machine construction at a factory of Hisashige Tanaka. It is said that he saw a lathe that came from the Netherlands, and then succeeded in manufacturing such a lathe after returning to Yamagata.
The forged iron treadle lathe was donated to the Tokyo Institute of Technology in 1932 and it has since been used as a machine of reference for research work on machines and tools. (It is said that a ‘Donation Reception Certificate’ issued on July 21, 1942, by President Hidetsugu Yagi to the Ito family exists.) Today, the lathe is exhibited in the Machinery Building of the Museum Meiji-mura Foundation in Inuyama City, Aichi Prefecture.
On exhibition (Reservation required)
The Museum Meiji-mura
- Hours open:
- (Mar.–Oct.) 9:30–17:00, (Nov.) 9:30–16:00, (Dec.–Feb.) 10:00–16:00
- Admission fee:
- 1,700 yen for adults, 1,300 yen for those aged 65 or older, 1,000 yen for high schoolers, 600 yen for elementary/junior high schoolers
- Days closed:
- Mondays in Dec.–Feb. (Open on holidays, Jan. 1–6), Dec. 31(See Website)
- 1 Uchiyama, Inuyama-shi, Aichi 484-0000
- 20 mins. by bus for Meijimura from Inuyama Sta., Meitetsu Inuyama Line