MECHANICAL ENGINEERING HERITAGE NO.98
Dawn of Japanese Passenger Elevator
The history of domestic production of modern passenger elevators started with the first “Push-button type fully automatic elevator” developed by Takatoki Tomatsu in 1915.
This elevator manufactured in 1925-26, at Japan Elevator Manufacturing Co., which Tomatsu established. And it was installed in the headquarters (main branch) of the former Owada Bank main building (currently the Tsuruga City Museum) in Fukui Prefecture in 1927. This elevator could accommodate eight persons (with a total load of 450 kg) and functioned through an operator by using nob handle. It has been preserved and is currently on display at this site. This equipment demonstrates the domestic production process of foreign technology and the evolutionary process of technological development in vertical transportation (passenger elevator) at the time.
Tsuruga City museum
- Hours open:
- Admission fee:
- General admission (University students and older) 300 yen
- Days closed:
- Mondays (except holidays), the day after holidays, year-end and New Year holidays, and other closed days due to exhibition changes and maintenance
- 7-8, Aioi-cho, Tsuruga City, Fukui 914-0062
- 25 mins. on foot from Tsuruga Sta., JR Hokuriku-Honsen, get off at the Tsuruga Shuyu Bus “Hakubutsukan-dori”